[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Request ids (PR#940)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Request ids (PR#940)
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:24:38 +0200

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 06:10:15AM -0700, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

ARGL What kind of format does Jittebug wants? The text can be read
over the web interface. Ok here is the describing text:

This patch implements request ids (formerly knows as serial
numbers). Every client->server packet is called request. The client
will put a uint16 (the request id) after the bytes of the normal
data. The server will additionally send a PACKET_PROCESSING_STARTED
packet before calling the handling method with the id of the current
request. After the handling method a PACKET_PROCESSING_FINISHED packet
is sent.

This patch also benefits the human user because the client can now
detect a user action which caused no reaction of the server.

The changes made in climisc.c are to test/show the waiting
feature. This will be removed before this patch gets applied.

I'm not sure about PACKET_SIZE_STATISTICS and
PROCESSING_TIME_STATISTICS. Should they be included and disabled?

I would also like to get feedback about how many requests are issued
compared to the traffic server->client. Trent can you play a bit and
sent me the last set of "Received packets:" and "Transmitted
packets:" lines?

The PROCESSING_TIME_STATISTICS reveal that the server needs <1ms to
process a request. So this >50ms times at the client are all about GUI
updating.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise"