[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Request ids (PR#940)

To: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Request ids (PR#940)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 01:44:29 -0400

At 05:24 AM 01/09/09 -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
>On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:
>>
>> If there are no objects I will apply the patch.
>
>Why don't you many the serial numbers optional?  Most players have no use for
>them.

One could also implement a new packet type/hierarchy with serialization
builtin in a reasonable way, and use this for the packet exchanges that
needed this, while not touching any of the existing packet code.

Experimenting with these new packets could be done without any impact
other than the code added to the server to support them. And no
restrictions would arise from current packet formats or usage.

New clients could ask for the enhanced packet types if they needed them
which basically means the server may need to send an appropriate response
when it receives one and nothing need be changed for existing clients.

Some day when the new clients form the majority, one could reverse any
defaults, and/or remove the redundant parts.

I really don't see the need to have this for every packet exchange that
currently exists and don't think this point has been adequately justified.

Cheers,
RossW
=====