[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Request ids (PR#940)

To: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Request ids (PR#940)
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 14:14:10 +0200

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 03:59:41AM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > This patch implements request ids (formerly knows as serial
> > numbers). Every client->server packet is called request. The client
> > will put a uint16 (the request id) after the bytes of the normal
>
> Why do you need to send the ID?  If the first request from the client has the
> id 0, then second has id 1, and so on, then there is no reason that the server
> has to be told this.

Mhh this is correct. I will think about this.

> You're patch increases the move unit packet from 7 bytes to 9, that's 29%.
>
> For the server, it's even worse.  You don't do any buffering, so when a unit
> moves the server will end up sending 3 TCP/IP packets instead of just 1.

It is no problem to do buffer() and unbuffer() calls.

> The unit info packet already has a serial number in it.  I wonder what it's
> used for?  I noticed that this packet has increased from 17 bytes when I made
> it to 29 bytes.  Obviously other people don't play over a modem either.  Am I
> the only one who has heard the word "bloat" before?
>

> > This patch also benefits the human user because the client can now
> > detect a user action which caused no reaction of the server.
>
> Except it doesn't because nothing happens.

You should see a message if you try to move a ground unit into the sea
(without transporter).

> BTW, "input_from_server_till_request_got_processed", is no function
> name too long for you?

How does it look to you?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "How about the new language C&? No, that's not 'c ampersand', 'c reference',