Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating
From: Paul Dean <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 Nov 2000 21:51:57 +0000

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > K'Ching!  Just had an idea.  Allow a handicap, like in golf.  You can
> > decide before the game that player X will have different research
> > speed to player Y or different foodbox size, or different number of
> > settlers to start...
>
> I implemented part of this (nl. per-player improvement costs) almost
> two years ago.  It worked, too.  But the code never made it into the
> distribution (not enough stamina to pull it through).

Close, but no cigar :) Good players don't need to build any
improvements.  I think something more general is needed.

This is another point I've thought about - the way that the optimal
game-playing style implies that no libraries, temples etc are ever
built.  There should be more incentive to build them, but I have no
suggestions for how we might go about this.

--
Paul
http://www.redeemed.org.uk/