Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: wishlist: eye-candy graphics upon wonder construction

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: wishlist: eye-candy graphics upon wonder construction (PR#610)
From: John Heidemann <johnh@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:37:11 -0800 (PST)

>måndagen den 27 november 2000 02:58 skrev johnh@xxxxxxx:
>> For maximal compatibility with the commercial Civilization,
>> fancy graphics should pop up when a wonder is constructed
>> with pictures of the great wall, apollo mission, etc.
>>
>> (This should be optional, of course.)
>
>Feel free to upload the graphics to
>ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/

I don't think there's infrastructure to pop up a dialog with a picture
in it.  I'd be willing to add this code to the gtk client if no one's
already done it/is planning to do it.  I can also dig up some images
for some of the wonders.

Before I start this I wanted to

- confirm that no one was already planning to do it
- find some experienced developer I could bounce a design off of
        (I've read through some of the freeciv code and
        freeciv_hackers_guide.txt and have a rough idea of what to do,
        but the client/server split is subtle enough that I'd like
        to verify my ideas before starting.)
- hopefully eventually find other people to contribute images
        for other wonders

(I'd like to do this to pay freeciv back for the many hours I wasted
over Thanksgiving playing your silly game :-)

   -John Heidemann