Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:37:08 +0100

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 09:51:57PM +0000, Paul Dean wrote:

> > I implemented part of this (nl. per-player improvement costs) almost
> > two years ago.  It worked, too.  But the code never made it into the
> > distribution (not enough stamina to pull it through).
>
> Close, but no cigar :) Good players don't need to build any
> improvements.  I think something more general is needed.

Well, the plan was to make all the costs depend on players.
Units were next; I just happened to do improvements first.

With low cost improvements they would probably be worthwhile.
And wonders are improvements, too.

> This is another point I've thought about - the way that the optimal
> game-playing style implies that no libraries, temples etc are ever
> built.  There should be more incentive to build them, but I have no
> suggestions for how we might go about this.

There have been suggestions on the list before.  One idea is to make
them cheaper in the ruleset.  But a need for improvements would slow
the game down.

--
Reinier