Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating

To: Jed Davis <jldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:52:14 -0600

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 06:29:01PM -0500, Jed Davis wrote:
> Gerhard Killesreiter <killesreiter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Paul Dean <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > > This is another point I've thought about - the way that the optimal
> > > game-playing style implies that no libraries, temples etc are ever
> > > built.  There should be more incentive to build them, but I have no
> > > suggestions for how we might go about this.
> >
> > Hmm, why not implement the following:
> >
> > After a number of researched advances, your research speed will sink
> > if you have no libraries.
> >
> > I think this is reasonable: Try to imagine doing research of any kind
> > without a library.
> >
> Or, more generally, have the benefit provided by libraries and
> universities (but probably still leave university as 2x library), as
> well as the amount of science required, change with the advance being
> researched.  This way the more "advanced" techs, or those that seem
> more worthy of library-ish research, can take longer without the
> city-improvements, and also the "harder" advances can take more time
> than the "easier" ones.  I think some of the newer paycivs (CtP?) have
> varying science "costs" for advances, for what it's worth.
>
> --Jed, who barely has time to write this e-mail, let alone try coding
>   such a thing...

        It wouldn't be hard at all, really.

        The equation that we use, which has some basis in the observed
behavior of CivII, is simple.  The cost of a new technology is a constant
times the number of techs already known.  The cost doubles after year 0.
        CivII seemed slightly more complex -- like not counting the initial
random 0-4 techs known as part of the basis for new tech cost.  But
otherwise, it just used 6 as the constant at Chieftain level, 8 at Warlord,
10 at Prince, and so on.

        It wouldn't be hard at all to add in a second factor.  What this
should be based on is open to debate.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."