Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating

To: stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:33:39 -0500

The current formula already took this into account. It may benifit from some fine tuning, but the basic idea works very well. The most important effect of the way tech cost is calculated is that it gives a player who is behind in science a chance to catch up, or at least not to fall too far behind, because it costs less to research new techs when you are behind. This may seem illogical at first glance, but I think it makes perfect sense gameplay-wise.

Another feature of Civ2 is that all new techs may not be always available at any time, although they are immediately reachable in the tech tree, thus forcing you to research techs that are not directly in line with your research goal. This means you can't just totally ignore one part of the tech tree and concentrate exclusively on another particular branch. Some people may not like this, but I think this also serves to balance the game, for obvious reasons.

The reason why people do not build libraries, etc. is that it is much easier to simply build more cities than to develop them fully. To fix this, you have to make it harder to expand. In Civ2, this is done by increasing unhappiness as the size of your civ grow. Freeciv has partly implemented this, but not nearly as resitricting. The more I play Civ2, the more I think it was done right. But that's just me.

Mike