Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:17:15 -0500

From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:50:27 +0100

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 12:31:00PM +0100, Piotr Sulecki wrote:

> Maybe we need to adjust both
> when the difficulty level changes? Or supplement cityfactor with
> popfactor (total population when aditional unhappines hits)?

Nu hidden variables, please ...

I don't think he is proposing any "hidden" variables. He meant to create a 'popfactor' option to reflect the unhappiness caused by your total population, as it is done in Civ2. It might not be absolutely necessary. Maybe simply extending 'cityfactor' will be enough, although it will be aother step towards greater compatibility and further improve gameplay, at least in my opinion.

It does introduce a little more complexity into the game. The 'cityfactor' in Freeciv simply adjust 'unhappisize' across the board for all cities. In Civ2, it seems to affect only new cities at first, and as your population grow, more and more unhappy citizens are added to your cities. This means things are a little harder to predict because you have to keep track of both the number of cities you have and what your total population is and keep a watchful eye on the attitude of your citizens at all time. But I think it's a small price to pay for better gameplay.

Mike