Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating

To: ccrayne@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:39:54 -0500

From: ccrayne@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:26:03 -0800

In <3A24E8F4.15A0148E@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 11/29/00
at 12:31 PM, Piotr Sulecki <Piotr.Sulecki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

:But it have certainly been proved as inadequate to level up the >:chancesbetween novice and experienced players.

This is indeed the key point. Finding a way to allow players of
different skills to compete as equals is a totally different goal
than making the game more challenging for expert players. In
particular, a player handicaping scheme must make it easy to compare
one player's skill level against another's; provide for a large
number of levels; and be independant of game difficulty levels.

That's absolutely right. The 'unhappysize' and 'cityfactor' variables are meant to adjust the difficulty level of the game, NOT as a handicaping scheme. it's important that we don't mix these issues.

Of course, they could be used in a handicaping scheme by allowing different players play at different difficulty levels in the same multiplayer game. As far as I know, this is NOT yet possible in Freeciv.

One way of doing this in Freeciv would be through a trade bonus. For
example, consider assigning each player a handicap rating from zero
to some server imposed limit. [As with golf, bowling, etc. the lower
the handicap, the better the player.] This number would be
implemented as a percentage increase in city trade, calculated just
before the split into Gold/Luxury/Science.

This reminds me of another point I forgot to mention in my previous posts. Nobody ever build trade routes in Freeciv. In Civ2 at the Deity level, trade routes also become extreme important because of all the tax, luxury and science benefit they generate. All this is related to city size. City improvements are more worthwhile in big cities; it simply doesn't make sense to build stock exchanges or factories in a small city. Trade routes also worth more for bigger cities.

As I have argued before, by adjusting 'unhappysize' and 'cityfactor' and possibly extending them, it may be possible to solve many of the complaints regarding the current Freeciv gameplay. It will favor bigger and better developed cities -- no more "smallpox syndrome"; encourage the use of all the elements of the game -- trade routes, governments forms other than the Republic, and mordern technologies; and all in all provide a more interesting and enjoyable experience.

Mike