Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating

To: Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cheating
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:46:23 -0500

No, that's not what I meant at all. In Civ2, two factors related to size affect happiness. One is the number of cities you have, the other is the total population of your civ. And if you play at the Deity level, every citizen after the first starts out unhappy. This means it's very hard to expand recklessly because after you have a certain number of cities, if you go out and build another, the very first citizen will be unhappy, and it could also make citizens in other cities unhappy too. What this does is to limit the number of cities you can build at the early stage of the game and force you to build city improvements. By the time you change over to a Republic, you have already invested a lot in your cities, and you can grow them to at least size 8 qickly, taking advantage of the new form of government. To do this you need marketplaces and banks to make the people happy. But if you have too many cities, it will be impossible to grow by making your cities celebrate because of the addtional unhappy citizens created by the size of your empire. You also cannot just go out and build new cities because they will need temples to make even the first citizen happy, and raising luxury rates won't help in this case because it need marketplace/bank in order to work. All this actually works in favor of a few larger cities, and not a lot of small ones. Once you reach a certain level of city size, it pays to develop them further. Therefore, it is very common to have very large cities in Civ2 at the Deity level. The optimal number is around 8. Too many will only make your life harder and seriously limit your growth because of the additional unhappiness.

Mike