[Freeciv-Dev] Goals: Civ2 -vs- Freeciv (was: Railroads and AI)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Goals: Civ2 -vs- Freeciv (was: Railroads and AI)
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:03:04 -0400

At 2000/06/19 09:43 , Sam BC wrote:
>It entirely depends on what you see as the projects goals... as currently
>stated, the goals are to produce a complete play-a-like... a lot of people
>would prefer the goal of producing our own game based on Civ(II)...
>
>The two are not incompatible, as long as every feature added is done so in a
>flexible way so that a fully play-a-like CivII mode (ruleset?) is supported.
>That way everyone gets there way.

The "Civ2" goal, as I interpret it, is to create a game that _can_ be very
similar to Civ2.

However, you may notice that the data directory contains a civ2 directory
and a civ2.serv file -- these are the Civ2 compatibility mode.  The
"native" Freeciv behavior is specified in the ./data/default directory, and
may be different from the Civ2 behavior.

You are correct in that the two goals are not incompatible.  And, I see no
reason that Freeciv native mode can't diverge from Civ2 behavior, as long
as Civ2 mode maintains as much compatibility as possible.

Note that Freeciv native mode is already different from Civ2 mode: one
recent example is the addition of land<->ocean transformation.

jjm