[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea
From: Steven Burnap <sburnaplinux@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 17:19:16 +0000

Daniel Zinsli wrote:

> Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > (For those of you who didn't know: Settlers in CTP don't build tile
> > improvements.  They only build cities.  Tile improvements are done
> > directly on the map through production points which have been diverted
> > into a "public works" pool.
>
> A friend of mine with tons of civ experience finds this the "dumbest
> idea ever", and I'm inclined to agree, can anyone see anything good
> about doing it this way?

I wholeheartedly agree.  I'm a civ-game junkie and have purchased nearly
every sort of these games I've run across.  (Civ1/2, MOM, Colonization,
Settlers,
etc.)  I've been playing with the Loki Civ:CTP demo download, and have become
convinced not to buy mostly because of this one "feature".  Blech!

One of the problems with it is that you can't specify which cities pay in to
this
pool, so you lose production both in that older, advanced city without much to
do
and the new city you just founded and are trying to grow.  Add to that an odd
bit
of unrealism in that it allows you to quickly improve some tiny little city way
out in the boonies.  With settlers, you could do this too, but it took planning,
 and your settlers were "at risk" if enemy territory was near.

I gather that the original idea was to cut down on the micromanagement late in
the
game.  I haven't played to the end of Civ:CTP so I can really say as to if this
works.

Steve