[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea

To: Steven Burnap <sburnaplinux@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea
From: Sean Connor <sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:34:51 -0600

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 05:19:16PM +0000, Steven Burnap wrote:
> Daniel Zinsli wrote:
> >
> > Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > (For those of you who didn't know: Settlers in CTP don't build tile
> > > improvements.  They only build cities.  Tile improvements are done
> > > directly on the map through production points which have been diverted
> > > into a "public works" pool.
> >
> > A friend of mine with tons of civ experience finds this the "dumbest
> > idea ever", and I'm inclined to agree, can anyone see anything good
> > about doing it this way?
> >

> I wholeheartedly agree.  I'm a civ-game junkie and have purchased nearly
> every sort of these games I've run across.  (Civ1/2, MOM, Colonization,
> Settlers,
> etc.)  I've been playing with the Loki Civ:CTP demo download, and have become
> convinced not to buy mostly because of this one "feature".  Blech!
>
> One of the problems with it is that you can't specify which cities pay in to
> this
> pool, so you lose production both in that older, advanced city without much
> to do

Actually, this isn't quite true.  You can put a city into 'infrastructure',
which
converts all of the city's production into PW points.  Basically, it works like
capitalization, except that it generates PW points instead of gold.  So, you
can keep the global PW at a relatively low rate, and use several older cities
with nothing much more to build to generate PW points by having them build
'infrastructure'.

Personally, I don't think it's any more stupid than Civ1/2's habit of
irrevocably
marrying the 'city founding' functions and the 'tile improvement building'
functions in one unit -- the settler.  (or, in Civ2, the engineer)

If anybody cares, I'd rather that there be two separate units -- one for
founding
cities, and one for building tile improvements.

> and the new city you just founded and are trying to grow.  Add to that an odd
> bit
> of unrealism in that it allows you to quickly improve some tiny little city
> way
> out in the boonies.  With settlers, you could do this too, but it took
> planning,
>  and your settlers were "at risk" if enemy territory was near.

It can also be used to build roads/railroads/maglevs through inhospitable
terrain
to facilitate attacking enemy cities.  I know; I've done it.  :)

Anyway, there are little pieces of unrealism scattered throughout all of the Civ
games in order to make them more fun, more playable, less tedious, etc.

--
  -Sean Connor  (sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                (sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

     It seems there's a fellow from Crewe