[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea

To: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 16:34:24 -0800

Jules Bean wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
>
> > Jules Bean wrote:

> > > Now *that* is an excellent idea.
> >
> > I like this idea too.
> >
> > The issue that would have to be resolved is the order that it would be
> > completed.  Where do you send the settlers/engineers when?
>
> Firstly, the server (or possibly client, but I think server) would
> maintain a list of all outstanding improvement requests, and note which
> ones had been 'bagged'.  'bagged' ones might later be back on the list, if
> the settler is intercepted and killed or taken off auto-mode.
>
> Then, I see two possibilities:
>
> 1) Each auto-settler without a job takes the 'first' -- 'oldest' -- job in
> the queue.
>
> 2) Each auto-settler without a job takes the job closest to it
> geographically.
>
> I think I prefer method 2.

This would have to be very well documented.  The idea is to cut down on
the amount of micromanagement.

The first way you would have to be very meticulous on how you put jobs
in the queue.

The second way would keep you from developing anything far from the
settlers, which isn't always that bad of a thing and acutally matches
more what a real civ would do.  But you could use a goto to get a unit
out in a more remote area, then put it on auto.

Using the second method you would still have to differentiate between 2
(or more) improvements that are equal distance from the unit.  (Do I
make a road or irrigate first? etc.)

--
Paul Zastoupil