[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea
From: Steven Burnap <sburnaplinux@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 20:16:24 +0000

Sean Connor wrote:
> If anybody cares, I'd rather that there be two separate units -- one for
> founding
> cities, and one for building tile improvements.

"Alpha Centauri" does exactly this, and it works well, but it does force you to
plan more.  I have a tendency to overbuild settlers on the theory that if I end
up
with too many, I can just go build a city.  With both types, you have to plan
more.
It also kills my other favorite tactic, which is to have a settler improve a
square
or two before setting up shop.  Despite those complaints, I think I prefer the
separate units as in "Alpha Centauri".

> It can also be used to build roads/railroads/maglevs through inhospitable
> terrain
> to facilitate attacking enemy cities.  I know; I've done it.  :)

Oh, yeah!  Get ten or fifteen settlers together and you can build that rail line
right into the enemy city.  Then move in the tanks, which get to attack without
losing any movement.

Steve Burnap