[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea

To: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>, Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 22:45:55 +0100

On 2000-02-03 20:02:57, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 12:29:00AM +0000, Jules Bean was heard to say:
> > Firstly, the server (or possibly client, but I think server) would
> > maintain a list of all outstanding improvement requests, and note which
> > ones had been 'bagged'.  'bagged' ones might later be back on the list, if
> > the settler is intercepted and killed or taken off auto-mode.
> >
> > Then, I see two possibilities:
> >
> > 1) Each auto-settler without a job takes the 'first' -- 'oldest' -- job in
> > the queue.
> >
> > 2) Each auto-settler without a job takes the job closest to it
> > geographically.
> >
> > I think I prefer method 2.
> >
> > Jules
>
>   There should also be a way for the player to prioritize actions, and perhaps
> some actions should automatically get a higher priority -- I'm thinking in
> particular of pollution cleanup, which you generally want to do ASAP.
>
>   I *really* like this idea, though.

Well, I've been thinking about something like this for some time...
In more general terms...

That is - You define groups, orders/actions and targets...
Where a group might be all settlers on a island with orders to irrigate
and target all grassland close to cities...
Or a bunch of military units (hand picked or not) with orders to defend
and target a list of tile/an area...

You don't have to implement it all at once but it would be nice if
whoever implements something like this for settlers kept the bigger
picture in mind so that it would be easy to build on later...

I really would like to do this but I'm not sure I will get the time :/

Ah, well - just a few thoughts...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)