[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea

To: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion/idea
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:29:47 -0500

Steven Burnap (sburnaplinux@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> > Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > > (For those of you who didn't know: Settlers in CTP don't build tile
> > > improvements.  They only build cities.  Tile improvements are done
> > > directly on the map through production points which have been diverted
> > > into a "public works" pool.

> I've been playing with the Loki Civ:CTP demo download, and have become
> convinced not to buy nostly because of this one "feature".  Blech!

It is a bit unrealistic but not what I'd call "Blech".  Oh well.

> One of the problems with it is that you can't specify which cities pay in to
> this
> pool, so you lose production both in that older, advanced city without much
> to do
> and the new city you just founded and are trying to grow.

You can tell your city to build "Infrastructure".  Like Capitalization,
it's a pseudo-improvement which converts production into something else --
in this case, public works points.

Unfortunately, it's damned *difficult* to use that feature.  Activision
neglected to integrate Capitalization/Infrastructure into the build queue
interface, so if you only use the build queue (like any normal player)
you won't see the C/I options.  They're only available if you go through
twisty little menus to get to the non-queue-based build options.

This also means you can't create a queue of improvements and then
stick "Infrastructure" at the end of the queue.  You have to wait
for the queue to become empty and then manually go tell the city to
build Infrastructure.  Of course, by the time the queue is empty
you've forgotten that you were supposed to tell the city to build
Infrastructure....

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers