Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:18:52 -0400

At 1999/09/14 03:41 , David Pfitzner wrote:
>Corin Anderson <corin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > If your method eliminates this penalty altogether, that would actually
>> > require greater micromanagement, since one would be forced to set up
>> > worklists or lose production.
>>
>> This is actually one of my personal motivators for worklists:  I want to
>> auto-switch between units and improments in a city, but I really don't
>> want the leftover shields from the previous turn to be penalized b/c I
>> couldn't switch fast enough.
>>
>> (If anyone thinks that I've changed the rules about production penalty
>> with this feature, please let me know now.)
>
>Personally, I would be inclined to _prefer_ a minor rule change
>in this respect.  :-)  Eg, on the turn immediately after production
>is complete, allow changing the production "type" without penalty.
>(Would require minor increase in internal bookkeeing to keep track.)

I don't mind the loss too much -- I can sort of rationalize it as
re-tooling costs, etc. -- but whichever is decided for Freeciv, I'd prefer
the penalty, or lack thereof, to apply equally to manual selection and
automatic (worklist) selection.  I, too, would not like being *forced* to
manage worklists just to avoid a penalty -- that's extra work, and extra
work ain't fun.

jjm