Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:40:11 -0400

At 1999/09/13 17:40 , Corin Anderson wrote:
>The feature I'm working on is per-city worklists.  The worklist can
>include improvements/wonders as well as units.  The code to switch to the
>next worklist task is server-side, so there shouldn't be any lost
>production pips that I'd imagine a client-side implementation would
>present.  The city worklists are saved in the game save file, so they
>don't need to be regenerated each time a game is restarted.  There
>will/may be also a feature to define one or more "generic" worklists that
>can be copied to a city and used as a starting-point worklist.

I like the idea of worklists being server-side and per-city.

Here are some things I've thought about in the past -- sort of my "wish
list" for worklists...

A comment about the "generic" worklists:  In *addition* to being able to
copy them to cities, I'd like an option to simply *refer* to a generic
worklist from a city.  Then, if I change the generic worklist, all the
cities that refer to it will naturally be affected.  Keeping the copying
mechanism is important, in the case where I'd want to make some changes to
the worklist (a more general inheritance mechanism would be nice, but I
can't at the moment think of how to implement it).

There are two other complexities that come to mind: units and obsolescence.

Obsolete buildings are easy: they can't be built.

Obsolete wonders *can* be built.  So, it'd be nice to have a choice:  Build
only if not obsolete;  Build in any case.  (Of course, don't try to build
if it's already completed elsewhere.)

Obsolete units might be handled sort of like obsolete wonders.  Give the
user a choice:  Build only if not obsolete;  If obsolete, build a unit of
the type which obsoleted the type specified (applied recursively).

Finally, since you can build more than one unit, I'd find it useful to be
able to specify a maximum number of units of the given type which, if the
city already *supports* fewer than that number, then the unit will be built.

jjm