Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch
From: John-Marc Chandonia <jmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:25:07 -0700

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 02:40:05PM -0700, Corin Anderson wrote:
> The feature I'm working on is per-city worklists.  The worklist can
> include improvements/wonders as well as units.  The code to switch to the
> next worklist task is server-side, so there shouldn't be any lost
> production pips that I'd imagine a client-side implementation would
> present.

There is no production lost in my implementation... I'm not sure
why there would be, except in cases where the client waits several
turns before switching from military unit to building improvement.
I can't think of any good reason for this to occur except when
the user is doing it manually and forgets to switch production.
If your method eliminates this penalty altogether, that would actually
require greater micromanagement, since one would be forced to set up
worklists or lose production.

Anyway, please look at my GTK front end for city plans; it is very
easy to learn and use, so you might be able to use some of the same
GUI code for your server side queues.

JMC
--
John-Marc Chandonia (jmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)              We're everywhere...
Cohen Lab, University of California San Francisco       for your convenience.