Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Default/optional entries in rulesets

To: sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Default/optional entries in rulesets
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:33:03 +1000 (EST)

sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastian Bauer) wrote:

> >> I also wanted to do this for the "partisan problem" so that
> >> for every unit which use the "Partisan" flag in the ruleset a new field
> >> "partisan_req" must appears (That's why I decided not to implement
> >> a Partisan tech flag ;-) )
> > Yes, that would be more general, but also more complicated.
>
> In what way?

At the moment we have one special rule for partisans:
under what circumstances they occur, and what unit is
created.  With your suggestion there could be lots of
different "partisan" units, and multiple conditions
(as far as techs at least) when they are created.
(What happens if multiple rules "trigger"?)

This is more complicated for the player, and in some ways
also for the code, since have to go through and check lots
of possibilities instead of just one, and keep track of
more data.

> If we don't do it's unpossible to have more than one partisan
> unit.

Sure, but will anyone actually want/use multiple partisan
units anyway? :-)

Actually, depending on how much generality you want, you could
have multiple partisan units without have a separate partisan_req,
by incorporating the tech_req as part of the condition, such
that the "best" "available" partisan unit is created depending
on some tech condition (subject to single partisan_req condition).

So possibilities include:

1. Single partisan_req, single unit.
2. Single partisan_req, multiple units.
3. Multiple units, each with own partisan_req.

Number 3 is more general, true, but also more complicated, and
I just wonder if it is worthwhile.

-- David