Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Default/optional entries in rulesets

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Default/optional entries in rulesets
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:16:37 +0200

Daniel Burrows wrote:
[.. a lot of smart things about adding security layer to guile ...]

More or less I was able to follow (except few lambda() parts - this
concept still puzzles me sometimes...)

I think that if we will allow players to send scripts, there will always
be problem of security - even with very good precautions.

I'll think about things you've said, but for now I would propose to
stick to server-side only scripts. If client wants to have it's own, ok
- but it should communicate by normal packets.

I suppose that main reason for allowing client to send scripts to server
is to make client able to catch some events at exact point - for example
moving unit at moment it passes by (it is the reason for autoattack
option after all I think). But I still think it is possible to handle it
by dialogs with options etc which are later wrapped in data packet and
send.

Artur