Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Default/optional entries in rulesets

To: sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Default/optional entries in rulesets
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:03:56 +1000 (EST)

sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastian Bauer) wrote:

> > This is more complicated for the player, and in some ways
> > also for the code, since have to go through and check lots
> > of possibilities instead of just one, and keep track of
> > more data.
>
> Yes, that's clear. But it's doable.

> > I just wonder if it is worthwhile.
>
> Probably not at the moment. That's why I let the comment in game.h.
> But I will do it somewhen because it's fun ;-)
> and helps me to understand the whole code better.

Ok :-)

Incidently, to really generalize, I expect you will want to
remove (replace/generalize) the goverment "Inspires_Partisans"
flag too :-)

> But this really is not the most important what have to be done. I
> think the next step would be now to generalize the building.ruleset.
> This is a little bit harder than the techs.ruleset. Have you already
> an idea for the new ruleset?

Yes, thats would be a good thing to do.  Per Mathisen was working
on this a bit; see http://ulven.ifi.ntnu.no/freeciv/

But a warning:

I am thinking we should start working towards a new stable
release, meaning some sort of feature freeze soon, so big
projects (such as generalized buildings ruleset would be)
would have to wait until after that before being included.

(More ideas on what I think we should be working on for a
stable release (ie, a new roadmap?) to follow.  Sometime.)

-- David