Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Default/optional entries in rulesets

To: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Default/optional entries in rulesets
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:29:06 -0400

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 03:40:15PM +0200, Artur Biesiadowski was heard to say:
> Sebastian Bauer wrote:
>
> [...]
> > But this really is not the most important what have to be done. I
> > think the next step would be now to generalize the building.ruleset.
> > This is a little bit harder than the techs.ruleset. Have you already
> > an idea for the new ruleset?
>

> Looking at the mess with partisans I think that scripting language is a
> must - too much resources go to problems trivially solved by scripts.

  I agree.

       [snip]

> I'll try to embed scripting language this week. Of course only basic
> hooks, just as a proof of concept. I'll try to stay language
> independent, with example implementation in guile, but not promise of
> that.

  If you do this, there's a feature I'd like to request: player-specified
scripts to be run as triggers/hooks in the server.  I'm not sure if this is even
feasible, particularly with Guile, but the idea is that you'd create a global
environment containing only procedures which do things in the server that a
player could do; eg, "change the production of this city" or "attack this unit".
Perhaps they could be implemented as closures which know the player that
they're running for?

  For this, actually, Guile is not so good an option because it's impossible
(as far as I know) to execute code in a restricted environment.  But I think
it's a good long-term goal.. (if there are any Guile developers on this list,
please consider this to be a feature request for restricted environments..)

  Daniel

--
  Fate always wins...at least, when people stick to the rules.

             -- Terry Pratchett, _Interesting Times_