Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Scripting Language (was: Default/optional entries in

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Scripting Language (was: Default/optional entries in rulesets)
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 22:29:36 +0200

Just and update on guile/scheme availability.

It seems to me that guile is avilable only for GNU/posix systems.
Fortunately there is a very similar library called mzscheme, which has
most of the possibilities of guile, but is a somewhat faster for my
little number crunching test (about 3 times:). It is already ported to
windows/mac/beos and I suppose that other ports shouldn't be a problem.
Additional bonus is that it supports guile C interface - so I can do
tests with guile and the switch to mzscheme without problems.

Only reason why I'm reluctant to use it is guile-oops. It is extension
to guile that allows very OO-code - multiple inheritance, dynamic
polymorphism (especially second one is a must for maintainable ai code).

On the subject of ai - I think it should be implemented in some language
which fits it well. Current C code is very good at what it does, but I
doubt if it is maintainable - there seems to be greate number of
hardcoded functionality and arbitrary choices there. If somebody would
like to have ai graduation work, freeciv ai implementation in guile-oop
or CLIPS sounds like a good subject...

Artur