Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Default/optional entries in rulesets

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Default/optional entries in rulesets
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:20:05 +0200

It would be nice to be able to not specify all fields for
units/terrains/buildings/etc. In such case field should equal default
value - possibly given at start of ruleset file in 'template' record.

It would make adding new features easier - for example I thinking about
introducing ranged_attack (to get closer to C:CTP emulation). With
default value of 0 it is quick and easy, but if all rulesets and
modpacks have to change to add ranged_attack=0 it is worse.

BTW, if I'll do patch that optionally allows C:CTP combat/stacks for
server, will somebody work on clients to be able to display/grok it ?
Two major things are needed - one is moving units in stacks (multiple
selection - maybe it is possible now ?) and second displaying multi-unit
combat (this one is optional in fact - for some time units can just
dissapear/get hp updated without fancy battle screen).

Artur