Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch
From: Corin Anderson <corin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:25:14 -0700 (PWT)

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Artur Biesiadowski wrote:

> Whatever you will do, please do not rely on fact that server and client
> is able to run same script language. More - if client will run some
> scripts of it's own, it should be totally opaque to server.

In my implementation, the server handles all the functionality of the
worklists; all the client needs to supply is some GUI way of editing the
list of build targets.  So it's actually just the opposite of what you
suggest:  the server handles this "scripting" feature, but it's opaque to
the client (inasmuch as the client doesn't need to *understand* the
script, merely edit it).  In the end, though, I still don't make the
assumption that both client and server use the same scripting "language"
(quotes b/c I really don't consider my worklists a language).

> I'm quite selfish at the moment - I'm thinking about my java client. If
> you will add some optional scripting language to client that's good -
> maybe I'll provide java scripting or something similar. But if you will
> exchange guile/perl/python/whatever scripts with server, it will be a
> big problem for me :)

Hm, an interesting point of view; one that hadn't ocurred to me.  I can
also see that I've probably walked into a hornet's nest wrt where
scripting languages should go, under which GUIs, etc.  I'll be sure to
leave that area as quickly and quietly as possible and return to safer
ground. 8)

Corey