Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch

To: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch
From: Corin Anderson <corin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:51:13 -0700 (PWT)

> Here are some things I've thought about in the past -- sort of my "wish
> list" for worklists...
>
> A comment about the "generic" worklists:  In *addition* to being able to
> copy them to cities, I'd like an option to simply *refer* to a generic
> worklist from a city.  Then, if I change the generic worklist, all the

Ooo, I like this idea.  I'll add it to my todo list.

> There are two other complexities that come to mind: units and obsolescence.
>
> [obsolescence]

Worklists allow the same set of building targets as the Change Production
list allows.  Thus, even if a wonder is obsolete, it can still be chosen
as a build target.  But, if a building or wonder has already been built
(ie, if can_build_improvement() or can_build_unit() return false), then I
purge the target from the worklist and try the next target.

> Finally, since you can build more than one unit, I'd find it useful to be
> able to specify a maximum number of units of the given type which, if the
> city already *supports* fewer than that number, then the unit will be built.

This option would be nice, but I think it's requires too much from my
simple worklists.  What you suggest is a "build riflemen until there are 3
in the city" option.  My worklists can be told to *build* (exactly) 3
riflemen (ie, just put riflemen in the worklist 3 times), but what you
suggest is more than can be handled.

Corey