Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch

To: corin@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:41:26 +1000 (EST)

Corin Anderson <corin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > If your method eliminates this penalty altogether, that would actually
> > require greater micromanagement, since one would be forced to set up
> > worklists or lose production.
>
> This is actually one of my personal motivators for worklists:  I want to
> auto-switch between units and improments in a city, but I really don't
> want the leftover shields from the previous turn to be penalized b/c I
> couldn't switch fast enough.
>
> (If anyone thinks that I've changed the rules about production penalty
> with this feature, please let me know now.)

Personally, I would be inclined to _prefer_ a minor rule change
in this respect.  :-)  Eg, on the turn immediately after production
is complete, allow changing the production "type" without penalty.
(Would require minor increase in internal bookkeeing to keep track.)

(A related issue is what should happen regarding the penalty
if you change production type multiple times within a single
turn, including flip-flops.)

A complication with all of these is how to usefully inform the
user of the current "state"...  Eg, on reloads/reconnection, or
just for large game; "Did this city just finish production or not?")

-- David