Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city plan patch
From: Corin Anderson <corin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:43:55 -0700 (PWT)

> Personally, I would be inclined to _prefer_ a minor rule change
> in this respect.  :-)  Eg, on the turn immediately after production
> is complete, allow changing the production "type" without penalty.
> (Would require minor increase in internal bookkeeing to keep track.)

Yeah, this is an annoyance that's bothered me too (as well as others, I
can see 8)  ).  I've now added this feature:  if you switch production
targets immediately after a city has produced something, then the city
won't suffer the half-lost shield penalty.  This rule change is server
side and affects both worklists (as I've implemented them) and client-side
(either manual or scripted) changes.  You can switch targets many times in
that turn (it's a temple!  no, it's a phalanx!  a temple!  a phalanx!) and
still be okay.  But if you wait until the /next/ turn, you're due up for
the penalty.

> (A related issue is what should happen regarding the penalty
> if you change production type multiple times within a single
> turn, including flip-flops.)

Yeah, this is sort of annoying:  phalanx -> temple -> phalanx will cut my
shields down by 3/4.  I've not addressed this problem; someone else can do
that work.  8)

> A complication with all of these is how to usefully inform the
> user of the current "state"...  Eg, on reloads/reconnection, or
> just for large game; "Did this city just finish production or not?")

Good question.  I'm presently letting the user just remember on his or her
own; there's no easy way to tell if a city just produced if you've just
reconnected or restored the game.  But, then again, how often does that
happen?

A patch for this feature is forthcoming.  I'm going to include it with my
worklists patch, unless someone asks otherwise.

Corey