Re: [[Freeciv-Dev] Babarians]

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [[Freeciv-Dev] Babarians]
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:34:29 -0500

F.Schaefer (fransch@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> * Make them independent, so that they can build cities, and their
>   own little states. But they must be agressive. Otherwise Barbarians
>   will be like a normal AI player.

The normal AI player is aggressive to a fault, unless of course it's
losing, in which case it pulls into its shell and builds thousands of
defensive units.

Making barbarians "aggressive" would make them just like the normal AI.

> * They should not attack Explorers, since it is higly unfair to loose
>   the explorer in the first turns, while others explore and make money ...

This is a silly exception.

For greatest playability, barbarians should work like the ones in
Civ/Civ2 -- they spontaneously appear in unsettled territory and wander
randomly until they find something to kill.

<idea>
For more realism, make them into a nomadic civilization -- rather than
building cities, they should be able to "reproduce" new units periodically.
It might be an ugly hack at the coding level, but I think it might be
feasible in terms of game play, if done right.

(Of course, they would attempt to take over player cities, but not to
hold them permanently -- instead, they should strip the city's resources
to produce more units, then move on when the city is gone.)
</idea>

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.