Re: [[Freeciv-Dev] Babarians]

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [[Freeciv-Dev] Babarians]
From: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 17 Mar 1999 14:31:06 +0100

    Stephen> Brent Nelson wrote:
    >> Didn't civ have a couple different types of barbarians that
    >> acted differently (depending if they came from the sea or
    >> inland).  I think the inland ones were more peaceful.

    Stephen> No. The inland ones (eg guerilla uprising) destroy cities
    Stephen> and that's it. The barbarians which landed from boats
    Stephen> will take cities and hold them.

Are you sure? The way I made it, the're not actually different, so
guerillas will also capture cities.

    Stephen> I'm not sure as to whether or not they build units but
    Stephen> they don't get technology advances which makes them
    Stephen> weak. They also are very cheap to buy out. It would be
    Stephen> interesting (at least IMO) if barbarians did get
    Stephen> technologies and got tougher.

In my version, they don't have any techs. Similar to the units that
come from huts, the types of units are determinde in the ruleset. You
can state

- ships
- crew
- guerillas
- hut units
- and what they build in cities

each one with a "always" and a "if the global tech is there"
variant. In cities, they always build the unit with the best attack
value.

        Falk