RE: [[Freeciv-Dev] Babarians]

To: "'freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [[Freeciv-Dev] Babarians]
From: Stig Haugdahl <stig.haugdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:52:47 +0100

> I would let explorers pass.  There isn't any plunder or threat from
> explorers, so why would barbarians care?

Because they are barbarians.
The SHOULD kill anything in sight.
Personally, I think the free explorer is a too big freebie.
Losing it in the first hut is a valid reason for whining.
I would feel better if the game started without that extra unit.

> > I got the feeling when i played original CIV that there
> wasn't many/any
> > barbarians in goodie huts
> > the first many turns.
> > Maybe the probability of the barbarians/tech varies over time?
> > I never seen this documented anywhere though..
> When is the contents of a hut determined?  Is at map generation, when
> the hut is explored, or when it is taken.  I think in Civ I it was
> when it was explored.  I remember trying to get better stuff out of

Contents determined when "opened".
In CivII, you NEVER get barbarians before you have founded your first
city, so by keeping your nomads roaming, you can pick up a largish
NONE army before settling in. Nice trick if you are planning a small,
democratic civ with Leo.
Which again is an unlikely strategy in Freeciv.
In CivII it is possible to win the space race even on deity with
just one city. (Not me, I've won with five on deity, and just
the one on chieftain.) In freeciv, the only way to win to expand.
But I digress.

stig