Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 12:10:13 -0500

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 08:58:54AM +1100, David Pfitzner was heard to say:
> > > * City tiles.  CivI and CivII indicated graphically whether a city had
> > > defenders.  Freeciv doesn't.
> >
> > Yes, the Xaw client has had problems with this as well, for a while,
> > because the two colous were too similar.  Not anymore (in CVS).
>
> Well, you only tell if you look at the minimap at top left
> (whereas in Civ1 the actual cities on the main map showed the
> difference) and IMO the minimap colours in CVS still have this
> problem?

  I made a quick change to fix this problem.  It uses CivII's method and hides
the flags for cities which don't have any units in them.  The only problem is
that it's hard to tell which player owns the city when there isn't a flag. :-)
I think CivII had a solution for this problem but I don't remember what it was.
Perhaps the city text could be displayed in the color of the player who owns the
city?

  The first patch is against the GTK+ client and the second is against the
Xaw client.

--
  Daniel Burrows

  Nothing is hopeless.

  PROOF:
(a) Assume the opposite.
(b) If something _is_ hopeless, then its condition can only improve.
(c) If its condition can only improve, then there must be hope for it.
(d) Therefore, nothing is hopeless.  QED.