Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 08:58:54 +1100

Reinier Post wrote:  (responding to Daniel Burrows)

[ try the Xaw client! ]
(Like Reinier, I'm speaking from knowledge about the Xaw client.)

> > * Combat.  This is related to the above problem, I suspect.  When my units
> > were attacked (or when I attacked another unit), there was no indication of
> > the
> > battle.  The vanquished unit simply vanished from the map, and the HP bar
> > of the victorious unit dropped.  When an AI player was attacking me, I often
> > didn't even see the unit that attacked.
>
> Huh?  Not so in the Xaw client.

Well, it is hard to follow the AI-initiated combat, because the
AI does all its moves really quickly at the end-turn/begin-turn
change-over.  But I find that the Messages Window (which Daniel
appears to be lacking) helps to keep track of what happened.

> > Second,
> > clicking on Buy doesn't give you a confirmation dialog, so if you might not
> > have wanted to buy the item after seeing the cost, you don't get a choice.
> > (could you just call the city_buy_item routine?)
>
> ?  No such problem in the Xaw client.

I think he means from the report of all cities, where indeed
there is no confirmation.  But that's because you _do_ get
told the cost beforehand, at the extreme right of the
production part.  Now it even says so in the heading.

> > * City tiles.  CivI and CivII indicated graphically whether a city had
> > defenders.  Freeciv doesn't.
>
> Yes, the Xaw client has had problems with this as well, for a while,
> because the two colous were too similar.  Not anymore (in CVS).

Well, you only tell if you look at the minimap at top left
(whereas in Civ1 the actual cities on the main map showed the
difference) and IMO the minimap colours in CVS still have this
problem?

> > * Science report.  Is that list at the bottom of the dialog a list of techs?

Yes, known techs.  If you toggle the help option, you can click on
them to get help.

-- David