Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 18:33:12 -0500

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 08:58:54AM +1100, David Pfitzner was heard to say:
> Reinier Post wrote:  (responding to Daniel Burrows)
>
> [ try the Xaw client! ]
> (Like Reinier, I'm speaking from knowledge about the Xaw client.)
>
> > > * Combat.  This is related to the above problem, I suspect.  When my units
> > > were attacked (or when I attacked another unit), there was no indication
> > > of the
> > > battle.  The vanquished unit simply vanished from the map, and the HP bar
> > > of the victorious unit dropped.  When an AI player was attacking me, I
> > > often
> > > didn't even see the unit that attacked.
> >
> > Huh?  Not so in the Xaw client.
>
> Well, it is hard to follow the AI-initiated combat, because the
> AI does all its moves really quickly at the end-turn/begin-turn
> change-over.  But I find that the Messages Window (which Daniel
> appears to be lacking) helps to keep track of what happened.

  (I'm testing this in the Xaw client as well this time :-) )

  I have a messages window, but it doesn't display anything about the combat.
Do I have to activate that set of messages in the Msg Options?  I think that
there should be a better visual representation of combat; Civ1/2 both had a
little "explosion" appear over the losing unit to indicate what happened.

> > > Second,
> > > clicking on Buy doesn't give you a confirmation dialog, so if you might
> > > not
> > > have wanted to buy the item after seeing the cost, you don't get a choice.
> > > (could you just call the city_buy_item routine?)
> >
> > ?  No such problem in the Xaw client.
>
> I think he means from the report of all cities, where indeed
> there is no confirmation.  But that's because you _do_ get
> told the cost beforehand, at the extreme right of the
> production part.  Now it even says so in the heading.

  I still don't like the fact that it doesn't ask for confirmation. Sorry. :-)

> > > * Science report.  Is that list at the bottom of the dialog a list of
> > > techs?
>
> Yes, known techs.  If you toggle the help option, you can click on
> them to get help.

  Ok.  I think that the GTK+--and, I see now, Xaw--clients should indicate
what this list is.

--
  Daniel Burrows

  Nothing is hopeless.

  PROOF:
(a) Assume the opposite.
(b) If something _is_ hopeless, then its condition can only improve.
(c) If its condition can only improve, then there must be hope for it.
(d) Therefore, nothing is hopeless.  QED.