Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 18:38:21 -0500

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 08:58:54AM +1100, David Pfitzner was heard to say:
> Well, it is hard to follow the AI-initiated combat, because the
> AI does all its moves really quickly at the end-turn/begin-turn
> change-over.  But I find that the Messages Window (which Daniel
> appears to be lacking) helps to keep track of what happened.

  Actually, I have another comment on this.  The default is for all messages
to be off, which means that the player gets _no_ notification at all when those
events happen, if I understand things correctly.  This includes, for example,

  * Wonder Started
  * Wonder Finished
  * Player Destroyed
  * Collapse to Anarchy
  * Global Warming
  * Pollution

  not to mention other, less important messages that also get filtered out.
This is with both the GTK+ and Xaw clients, as far as I can tell.  I think that
they should _at least_ notify the player in the message box when these events
occur, since otherwise you could be governing an Anarchy and not even know it.

--
  Daniel Burrows

  Nothing is hopeless.

  PROOF:
(a) Assume the opposite.
(b) If something _is_ hopeless, then its condition can only improve.
(c) If its condition can only improve, then there must be hope for it.
(d) Therefore, nothing is hopeless.  QED.