Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:59:05 +0000 (WET)

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Reinier Post wrote:

> I haven't tried the GTK client yet, it's probably a little behind the Xaw one
> in features.
>
> > * freeciv does not inform you when a structure is completed in a c
>
> In the Xaw client, this is configurable.

And it's also configurable in the GTK+ one...

(lots of similar stuff snipped off...)

> > * City List.  It's wonderful, but I noticed two problems: first, when you
> > Change what a city is building, it deselects the city.  I don't like thi
> > behavior since I might want to do several things in a row with a city.
>
> Try the Xaw client.

Hum...  I thought the Xaw one did that as well... guess i was wrong.

(lots of other stuff snipped off...)

> I see you've been using the GTK client :-)

I see you haven't even tried the GTK+ client :-)

=== Now on a more serious note:
a) yes the GTK+ client has bugs.

 Many bugs in the GTK+ client are there because i'm pretty much following
the Xaw client code.  Also remember development GTK+ isn't bug free(tm).
The client needs more testing...

b) yes the GTK+ client could be prettier.

 I must admit i'm not very talented at dialog design.  However you must
also see that most dialogs were designed in little time (days not months).
 Also, except for the help dialog (which i redesigned a bit), i really
haven't paid much attention to the other ones -i was most worried about
getting them working first.

I welcome all constructive criticism to the client and i'll to my best
ability improve it further. However remember i can't stray off too much
from the Xaw design because that makes integrating work from there into
the GTK+ version much harder.

---
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa, student @ Instituto Superior Tecnico,
Technical University of Lisbon - Software & Computer Engineering