Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 21:17:07 -0500

Daniel Burrows (Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> The only problem is
> that it's hard to tell which player owns the city when there isn't a flag. :-)
> I think CivII had a solution for this problem but I don't remember what it
> was.
> Perhaps the city text could be displayed in the color of the player who owns
> the
> city?

Civ2 has a colored shield-thing with a number in it -- the number is the
city size, and the color of the shield is the owner's distinct color.

It also uses the owner's color for the city name.

Finally, the city has a little flag which it raises when there's a
defender present (the same distinct owner-color), and a little wall
drawn around it when the city is walled.  (Learning to identify the
difference between a walled city and an unwalled one can take some time,
since there are over a dozen different city icons depending on size and
style, and the wall is hard to see in some of them.)

Civ1, if I recall correctly, used a black border to indicate the presence
of a defender, and a gray border to indicate a wall.  (The black border
was drawn inside the gray one; both could be seen at once.)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.