Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay

To: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gameplay
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:56:57 -0500

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 05:59:05PM +0000, Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa was
heard to say:
>  I must admit i'm not very talented at dialog design.  However you must
> also see that most dialogs were designed in little time (days not months).
>  Also, except for the help dialog (which i redesigned a bit), i really
> haven't paid much attention to the other ones -i was most worried about
> getting them working first.

  Yeah.  Ok.  Good idea. :-)

> I welcome all constructive criticism to the client and i'll to my best
> ability improve it further. However remember i can't stray off too much
> from the Xaw design because that makes integrating work from there into
> the GTK+ version much harder.

  Ack. :(  I just spent some time patching the GTK+ client to have a nicer
connect dialog.  The only thing that I'm not sure about was my decision to
include the metaserver dialog as a separate notebook tab.  It seemed like a
good idea, but I can't seem to find a good balance between making it large and
distorting the other tab, or making it so small that you can't see any of the
data in it. :-(  However, this might be bearable.

  The things that I fixed that I felt were most important were:

  * column headings in the metaserver CList.
  * I changed the group boxes and placement of entries/labels so that they
   work in a more 'GTK-ish' way.  Instead of each entry having its own group
   box, the entire set of options is enclosed in a group box, and the
   entries have labels to their left.  (I believe that this is how most
   GTK+ apps do things.)

  I don't know what the list policy is on big patches, or how big a big patch
is.  This one is 13K.  Should I post it or mail it directly to you or
put it up on a Web server?

--
  Daniel Burrows

  Nothing is hopeless.

  PROOF:
(a) Assume the opposite.
(b) If something _is_ hopeless, then its condition can only improve.
(c) If its condition can only improve, then there must be hope for it.
(d) Therefore, nothing is hopeless.  QED.