Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city_nn patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city_nn patch
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 20:16:19 +0100

> Well, it wasn't really meant to be included into the main source in
> this form, it is extremely inefficient, and I didn't include some
> necessary checks.

I had invented a precise algorithm to generate city names - no code yet
- when I saw your patch.  It's different from yours.  Lists of
additional names are useful but they don't really solve the problem.
(Actually, 2 problems:  'city nn' is ungly, and 'city nn' provides some
information about the size of your enemy.  BTW the AI numbers
consequentially even for cities that belong to different races, so if
you're at city 0 while some AI city is named city 215 all you know is
that 1) the AI collectively have founded 215 cities in excess of their
stock of names, and 2) this particular race has run out of names.
I remember observing a game with a 'city 550'.

There is no need for efficiency; the user will spend far more time in the
city dialog.

--
Reinier Post                                             rp@xxxxxxxxxx