Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Plans for the future

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Plans for the future
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 00:01:28 +0000

Reinier Post wrote:

> > David Pfitzner and I have been discussing a roadmap for
> > versions, and what goes into them.  Here's our latest
> > edition.  I hope that this is generally acceptable.  Please
> > let us know if you have comments.
>
> I'd like to have the version number indicate incompatibility - will this
> be a problem?  E.g. 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 clients/servers would be interoperable,
> 1.7.* and 1.8.* wouldn't.

The 1.7 series will be interoperable.  Since we're planning to
change the byte-order in 1.8, 1.7 will not interoperate with
1.8.  Although I haven't checked, I don't think the capability
strings will help, since the initial packet will be different.

Note, before we release 1.8, we'll have to do some testing.
I don't know whether we'll call these modified versions
1.7.something or 1.8.something.  But they'll be developer-only
releases.

> Please include the attached Imakefile patch - it recreates
> client/Freeciv.h from data/Freeciv; I submitted this when 1.7.0
> was current, but it never made it in.

I've checked it in.  Thanks a lot.

> > An attempt at correct building on Sun and SGI.
> >   Sun: common libxpm paths problems
>
> Yes.  Specifying the libxpm path causes the test for XOpenDisplay() to fail,
> the link command has a problem with order (it tries -lX11 -L/usr/openwin,
> which doesn't find libX11).  I don't know how to fix it myself.

Thanks for that.

> A savefile directory cleaner is attached (small patch since last
> version).  Submitted for inclusion into the distribution, if anybody
> but me sees the need.

I've put this in the utility pack.

> > Improved races (Massimo's patch).
>
> A 'must have', especially the fix for the 'city 0' names.

Can we have this patch separately?  Massimo?

> It appears to
> cause some (unidentified) problems with the coloring of enemy units.

This sounds like a candidate for 1.7.3, if there are problems.

Regards,

Mitch.