Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Plans for the future

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Plans for the future
From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 13 Nov 1998 11:20:09 +0100

Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 1.7.2:  "as soon as possible"

Most necessary.

Don't forget to update README's and such, and include Gregurabi's
Twelve-Step Program in the distribution.

Everybody, especially new hands, please speak up:
what is missing in the *documentation* department?

> 1.7.3:
>
> New tilesets, either from Daniel Bennet, or from Ralf Engels.

Please give an option to retain the old tileset; I've played freeciv
too much, and I'm too accustomed to current tiles. ;-)

> Christopher Mark Weber wrote:

> > I am very much in support of expanding the game beyond the scopes of
> > the previous civs.
>
> Many people have opinions on this.  Some people lean towards
> making Freeciv a strict Civ II workalike.  Some lean towards
> advancing it to a new game.
>
> I would like to find a middle ground which keeps the most people
> happy.  While I'm open to suggestions, the way I see this happening
> is if the Freeciv core stays close to Civ II, and enhancements
> are distributed as patches, which get applied to the original.

Neglecting code complexity issues, I would think the best middle
ground would be to have Freeciv behave like Civ II by default, and
have a number of new goodies, and even complete new rulesets,
activated by server options:

set civstyle cweber

(that's for freeciv 2.x I guess).

Regards,