Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Plans for the future

To: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Plans for the future
From: Christopher Mark Weber <cweber@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 01:38:44 -0600

Mitch Davis wrote:

> Dear Freeciv team,
>
> David Pfitzner and I have been discussing a roadmap for
> versions, and what goes into them.  Here's our latest
> edition.  I hope that this is generally acceptable.  Please
> let us know if you have comments.
>
> In particular, we really really want to get 1.7.2 out
> as soon as possible.
>
> Some of these items refer to things we've been discussing.  I'll
> post a followup message with these.
>
> 1.7.2:  "as soon as possible"
>
> CVS version (no 1.7.1 bugs, various new features)
> Most recent dwp patches (non-rulesets) not yet in.
> Various patches to makefiles/configure.
>   including DATADIR, Xaw3d, config.h, targets?, ...?
>   Wanted: check -Wall -pedantic ?
> An attempt at correct building on Sun and SGI.
>   Sun: common libxpm paths problems
>   SGI: don't use obsolete compat libs just because they're there
> Any non-radical icon changes?  In particular, we want the icon
>   size to stay around 30x30 or 32x32.
> Any other important+bugfree(tm) (ie relatively small) patches out there?
> Wanted: Some sort of easy AI mode.
>   (Fuzzy ifs, micro-management quotas, ...)
>
> Post-1.7.2:
>
> A Freeciv utils pack, with civscore x 2 (xgraph/xforms), the
> Civ II gfx converter, the icon splitter and other goodies.
>
> 1.7.3:
>
> New tilesets, either from Daniel Bennet, or from Ralf Engels.
> Correct builds on all Sun and SGI machines.
> dwp's rulesets.

    As long as we are putting dwp's rulesets into the core code.  Then why
doesn't someone also build a unit editor.   I and my team here may be
working on that this next Tuesday.   Can anyone else do it faster.

> Space race.

Yes, finally.  But I don't think we should stop there.  I am very much in
support of expanding the game beyond the scopes of the previous civs.   I
would like to see new units, new building structures, new wonders, and new
phases of gameplay.  (I.E. what should happen before a civilization says,
"hmm, I've got an idea.  Let's send a large percentage of our population a
couple million miles away from here so they can start thier own
civilization.")  I always criticied this logic.

    Theoretically this section could constantly be in development.  We could
take only the best ideals and put them into the core code.

> Civil war.

   one question can the game end by eliminating the opponent if the enemy is
always expanding.

> Improved races (Massimo's patch).
>
> 1.7.4:
>
> Fixups for the above.
>
> 1.8:
>
> Protocol change to network byte order.
> GTK, Xaw, no abstraction layer.  (Done)

When will we be here.  How much is left to do?

--
Chris Weber