Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Plans for the future

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Plans for the future
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:43:34 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Mitch Davis wrote:
> In particular, we really really want to get 1.7.2 out
> as soon as possible.

Agreed :)

> 1.7.2:  "as soon as possible"
>
> CVS version (no 1.7.1 bugs, various new features)
> Most recent dwp patches (non-rulesets) not yet in.
> Various patches to makefiles/configure.
>   including DATADIR

This one is in, I think.

> Xaw3d

Does this work yet? I seem to remember rather conflicting reports on this
patch. Maybe not a 1.7.2 thing.

> config.h

Yes :)

> targets?

Is this the -I $(srcdir)/../ patch?

>   Wanted: check -Wall -pedantic ?

Maybe right after 1.7.2? It is a developer thing... a way to turn off -g
would be nice. Mark Linnala had something to this effect in his patch, I
think.

> An attempt at correct building on Sun and SGI.
>   Sun: common libxpm paths problems
>   SGI: don't use obsolete compat libs just because they're there

I must have deleted my way through this discussion. Would anyone care to
provide any details?

> Any other important+bugfree(tm) (ie relatively small) patches out there?

I think there was a tiny patch that made the ai, server and common code
compile without attempting to link X libs. I cannot find it though, so if
someone could repost it, I would be happy.

> 1.7.3:
>
> New tilesets, either from Daniel Bennet, or from Ralf Engels.
> Correct builds on all Sun and SGI machines.
> dwp's rulesets.
> Space race.
> Civil war.
> Improved races (Massimo's patch).

Sounds good. Since most of the above exist already as patches, this
release should not take as long as 1.7.2 does, hopefully...

> 1.8:
>
> Protocol change to network byte order.
> GTK, Xaw, no abstraction layer.  (Done)

Nice.