Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Plans for the future

To: cweber@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Plans for the future
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 19:28:21 +1100

Christopher Mark Weber wrote:

>     As long as we are putting dwp's rulesets into the core code.  Then why
> doesn't someone also build a unit editor.

The priority is to release 1.7.2 before the rulesets.  After this,
we can consider other ideas.

> I and my team here may be
> working on that this next Tuesday.   Can anyone else do it faster.

Well, what would help the most is if work was done on the items
we must address for 1.7.2.  Would you like to volunteer?

> I am very much in support of expanding the game beyond the scopes of
> the previous civs.

Many people have opinions on this.  Some people lean towards
making Freeciv a strict Civ II workalike.  Some lean towards
advancing it to a new game.

I would like to find a middle ground which keeps the most people
happy.  While I'm open to suggestions, the way I see this happening
is if the Freeciv core stays close to Civ II, and enhancements
are distributed as patches, which get applied to the original.
Like to be able to build teleport wonders?  Get the teleport patch...

>    one question can the game end by eliminating the opponent if the enemy is
> always expanding.

It's your job to expand faster.  Try not to get involved in
a war in which you don't have a greater-than-80% chance of winning.

Personally, I only saw two reasons to take the enemy capital
before others:  Either to stop their space race, or to throw
them into unrest and corruption.  And standing against taking
the capital is that you've then got to play politics with two
entities, not one.

> > Protocol change to network byte order.
> > GTK, Xaw, no abstraction layer.  (Done)
> >

> When will we be here.  How much is left to do?

A GTK+ port of the Freeciv client is done, and works rather
well (see the FAQ).  The protocol change is trivial, but since
it breaks **everything**, I'd rather wait for a major release.

Regards,

Mitch.
--
| mailto:mjd@xxxxxxxxxx       | Not the official view of: |