Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Plans for the future

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Plans for the future
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:58:19 +0100

On Fri, Nov 13, 1998 at 12:02:31PM +1100, Mitch Davis wrote:
> Dear Freeciv team,
>
> David Pfitzner and I have been discussing a roadmap for
> versions, and what goes into them.  Here's our latest
> edition.  I hope that this is generally acceptable.  Please
> let us know if you have comments.

I'd like to have the version number indicate incompatibility - will this
be a problem?  E.g. 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 clients/servers would be interoperable,
1.7.* and 1.8.* wouldn't.  There has been discussion in the past about
the meaning of version numbers but I'm not sure what the outcome was.

> CVS version (no 1.7.1 bugs, various new features)
> Most recent dwp patches (non-rulesets) not yet in.
> Various patches to makefiles/configure.
>   including DATADIR, Xaw3d, config.h, targets?, ...?

Please include the attached Imakefile patch - it recreates
client/Freeciv.h from data/Freeciv; I submitted this when 1.7.0
was current, but it never made it in.

> An attempt at correct building on Sun and SGI.
>   Sun: common libxpm paths problems

Yes.  Specifying the libxpm path causes the test for XOpenDisplay() to fail,
the link command has a problem with order (it tries -lX11 -L/usr/openwin,
which doesn't find libX11).  I don't know how to fix it myself.

> Post-1.7.2:
>
> A Freeciv utils pack, with civscore x 2 (xgraph/xforms), the
> Civ II gfx converter, the icon splitter and other goodies.

I've tried to use the civscore.log with xgraph, and failed.  It would be
nice to have a 'replay' or graphing function that works directly on the
save files.

A savefile directory cleaner is attached (small patch since last
version).  Submitted for inclusion into the distribution, if anybody
but me sees the need.

> 1.7.3:

[...]
> Improved races (Massimo's patch).

A 'must have', especially the fix for the 'city 0' names.  It appears to
cause some (unidentified) problems with the coloring of enemy units.

--
Reinier Post                                             rp@xxxxxxxxxx