Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city_nn patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] city_nn patch
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:08:47 +1100

Massimo Campostrini wrote:
> David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Currently there are a few places (eg, the "choose a name for your
> > new city" dialog, the city report, maybe others) where city names
> > shouldn't be longer than... 15 (?) characters.
>
> I like long city names; I would rather increase the max., and truncate
> the city name where appropriate, e.g. in the city advisor.

Though I would tend to agree that the limit could be higher, though
there should still be some reasonable limit.

For reference, all of the current city names (excluding the patch)
are 14 chars or less, except for Clermont-Ferrand at 16 chars.

In the patch, names longer than 14 are:

15 Biltmore Forest
15 College Station
15 Correctionville