Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: omniscience problem

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: omniscience problem
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:15:15 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > Not going to happen. Sorry. The present AI is built on the omniscience
> > assumption, and making it work without it requires nothing short of a new
> > AI.
>
> this is the wrong attitude. Please tell me where the ai absolutely has to
> beomnicscient?

In all non-domestic issues. Everything that has to do with enemy units or
cities or players. Even the AI diplomacy patch makes much use of
omniscience.

Turning the AI into something else that doesn't use omniscience is a
really major undertaking, and to be honest I really can't see what we gain
from it. Time is better spent making the 'hard' AI harder, making it
understand the rules better, and making it able to run with modpacks.

> One of people's biggest gripes is an AI that cheats. Making the AI use
> omniscience to any extent other than minimal will only exacerbate the
> situation.

That's not what I hear. People say the AI is either too hard or too easy
(so they _think_ it cheats). I agree it shouldn't cheat the rules, as in
revolution in one turn, any tax rates whenever and change production at
will, but omniscience is another thing altogether.